Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Options for layout

Third question from Dave in Vancouver. All three of these questions were included in one email, I just thought it would be easier to put them in three different posts as they were in regards to three different topic areas that are very important to any tile/stone job.

Two thumbs up to Dave for such excelent questions.


Comment re: starting at the center of the room:
I favor a "line of sight" and start at the room entrance with a centered double line of tiles. I tie into the hallway or next room with a different pattern or mosaic so that there is a visual break between the two floors.


I agree. If I have a long open space and the door's offset I'll check to see if centering the layout on the door will put a long line of small cuts along the visible wall though. If the cuts are going to be under a toe kick, or if the walls step out or step back at various locations in the room, then I don't worry about what cuts will be along the walls. Using different types/patterns in different areas also helps to keep the floor surfaces visually interesting.

That's where you have an advantage if you're working on your own project, you get to pick. Working for homeowners and designers though, all I get to do is deal with what ever they choose for me to install, then step back when I'm done and enjoy the view....

2 comments:

Nicolas Mottet said...

Hi everyone,

Floor tile or wall tile design is quickly gaining in popularity. You can visit this webpage to learn more about tile and get some inspiration with great design ideas. With galleries and online tools like the tile estimator, you will find plenty of fairly helpful resources to help you plan a new flooring project.

info said...
This comment has been removed by the author.